ss_blog_claim=b2b38f866253a1cdcb65ed0875d62423

Working on Cruise Ships

Ever wondered how is it like to work on one of the biggest cruise ships in the world? This is my experience, my life and my view as an employee on one of the many cruise ships sailing around the world.

Publish your articles and get paid for it
Other things
Travel News
Creers & Employment News
Other things
Other things
Other things

 Subscribe

Monday, July 7, 2008
What happens when you reach the HR?s Office?


The conflict between me and my manager got worse and worse over the past few days and yesterday I had enough! I went straight to his office and asked to talk to him. I sat down and started to tell him I am bothered by his attitude towards me but he cut me off and said we will have this discussion in front of the HR Manager tomorrow morning. Actually, he had a good idea since a witness was appropriate for the kind of conversation I was planning to have with him.

The HR Manager is suppose to be the liaison between the management and crew, he is suppose to help and guide us as well as help solving conflicts between two employees. I was surprised to see that our HR Manager did just that and helped me and my manager talk. Actually, I think my manager talked with me just because the HR was present in the room, but who cares? At least we finally talked instead of barking orders at me.

He said some things that made me question how my behavior is perceived by others and pointed some mistakes I did, and on my side, I let him know how his behavior makes me feel and how I wish he will be more supportive and protective of me. We finally reached a common ground and agreed we will meet half way. I will be more diplomatic with the management and officials from Miami and he….well….he just said we will meet half way. Now I guess I have to wait and see what half way means to him. I would certainly like to see a little back up from him, especially when other managers are trying to make me do their work or their Admin’s work just because those guys have no clue what they are doing.

I must tell you though, life looks a whole lot better now and I am back to the positive, happy girl I was. But also, I realized that my manager doesn’t take me seriously just because I work as an Admin for a little over a year. If you ask me, a quick adapting personality who can learn fast means just as much as years of experience. Just because I don’t have the years, that doesn’t mean that I don’t know what I’m doing. In fact, I have quite a long list of achievements and the evaluations to prove it. I have projects that are now used fleet wide, I’ve done two jobs in the same time, and I basically supported the whole F&B Division and Hotel Department during the last year’s winter holidays, changes between years and the crossing from Galveston to Barcelona with the entire paperwork that comes with it. I’ve trained two crew members to replace me while I’m gone and now I am training the third one, I’ve worked with four F&B Managers and two Hotel Directors during a year and a half since I’ve stepped in the management team and never once went to the HR’s Office to complain about something. This was not an easy thing to do and I think I’ve done pretty well considering the four out of five score evaluation I received my last contract….all until this manager came onboard.

But at least, now I have a little faith that the conflict is solved and I can go back to my daily routine and life. Besides, in three days my favorite Executive Sous Chef will come onboard and life will be a little more fun. But this is another subject…




Labels:

posted by Ariana @ 8:18 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At July 7, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Wow what an adventure. But I think you did great. Many things can be resolve with some good communication. At least now, he now what's bugging you and you know what's bugging him. With that in mind, you get a better understanding and an overview to how to talk to him. But that doesn't mean that all will be better .. espacially if one of the two parties don't do any effort.

    It's good to know that their is help when something like this happen. And then again, it's not suprising since they have so much diversity in working on a cruise ship.

     
  • At July 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi again,

    I just want to know how was you first contract. What was the think you found easy and difficult. What do you like about your new life and all. What was your first job ? What to expect. The difference about your first experience and now. ( oh yeah, what about the language barrier ? )
    Well since I don't know what to expect of my first contract, I'm asking you for some tips.

    I read your blog about friendship and I know it's a great part of the new life at sea. It makes it really easier, but it must be difficult since you don't know when your friend will be going.

    I know it's a lot to ask, but maybe you'll be writing about this in your future blog to.

    Thanks again and take care.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe to this blog



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

About Me
Name: Ariana
Home:
About Me: Born in a small town, ended up working around the world. I love to socialize, see places, make new friends. Always there to help, even when nobody is asking for it :-)And now I am learning graphic design as well, check out my other blogs.
More Information



Previous Post
Archives
Want more traffic?
Book Marks

Top Blogs Travel

BlogRovR: read my blog anywhere!
My Networks