ss_blog_claim=b2b38f866253a1cdcb65ed0875d62423

Working on Cruise Ships

Ever wondered how is it like to work on one of the biggest cruise ships in the world? This is my experience, my life and my view as an employee on one of the many cruise ships sailing around the world.

Publish your articles and get paid for it
Other things
Travel News
Creers & Employment News
Other things
Other things
Other things

 Subscribe

Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Reality check

Yesterday I went shopping, got what I wanted and came back home. Nothing wrong with that, is it? Well yeah, until my mother asked me how much I paid for the groceries and other stuff. When I told her she looked at me and said: “You know, people live with that kind of money for a month”.

Later on I start thinking about it and I realized that most of us that work on ships need a regular reality check. My mother was right. A lot of people live with 400 dollars a month in Romania and I just spent that kind of money in one day without even realizing how much they mean.

So what’s happening with us? Why we become so detached from the real world so much? After a lot of thinking I finally answered those questions. Ship life isn’t a real life. Not even close. We live 6 months in an enclosed environment where, even thought we have TVs in each cabin, we don’t have enough time to watch what’s going on in the world, and who’s dating who or any other gossip becomes news of the day.

If you go around and ask the crew members what date or day is, half of them will take seconds to give you an answer and most of the answers would be wrong. We are lost in time and space, sometimes we don’t even know where in the world we are, we just know it’s 6 am and we have to go back to work in our metal windowless offices, galley, pantries etc.

That’s the result of 6 months of constant work, 7 days a week, 10 or more hours a day, combined with a workplace that have no natural light, no means for us to realize if it’s light or day outside, if we are at sea or in a port. And then again is the time zone that messes out our internal clocks.

But yeah, we make good money and the best of all is that we can save up most of them. But there’s a catch there as well and most of us fail to realize it, just like me. We shuffle hundreds of dollars every day and slowly we forget that some people in our countries can live out of a 100 dollar bill for days, or even weeks. We are used to the prices in USA or Europe, and when we come back home it takes us a while to realize that the prices aren’t the same.

Did you know that you can have a chauffeur, maid, cook and cleaner for less than $150 a month? I didn’t…until one of my managers from Philippines told me he pays that much for it. Apparently, it is the same in India. Romania is a bit more expensive, but still, the medium salary per economy is around 400 dollars.

I find myself talking about thousands of dollars like it is nothing, then I see my friends’ faces change and I realize I do need a reality check. Or maybe I just need to get away from that kind of environment that ships represent. Something definitely needs to change. Maybe me...

Labels: , , ,

posted by Ariana @ 5:54 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At May 8, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Blogger Minette Rivera said…

    Hi! You are absolutely right. Although I am not a big spender, there are still times that I spend way more than what I should be spending (and that is a mortal sin for me...hahaha, just kiddin). Anyways, its just that life is not easy and so is money ...especially here in the Philippines. We need to step back and see the bigger picture till we realize how blessed we are.

    Thanks for your nice post!

    Minette
    http://anyfreebies.blogspot.com

     
  • At May 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you insane? we live on $400 a month in the US and we have everything we need, People using more than that got to be insane, what do you need all those groceries for? unless you have a ton of kids of course *lol*

     
  • At May 14, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe to this blog



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

About Me
Name: Ariana
Home:
About Me: Born in a small town, ended up working around the world. I love to socialize, see places, make new friends. Always there to help, even when nobody is asking for it :-)And now I am learning graphic design as well, check out my other blogs.
More Information



Previous Post
Archives
Want more traffic?
Book Marks

Top Blogs Travel

BlogRovR: read my blog anywhere!
My Networks