ss_blog_claim=b2b38f866253a1cdcb65ed0875d62423

Working on Cruise Ships

Ever wondered how is it like to work on one of the biggest cruise ships in the world? This is my experience, my life and my view as an employee on one of the many cruise ships sailing around the world.

Publish your articles and get paid for it
Other things
Travel News
Creers & Employment News
Other things
Other things
Other things

 Subscribe

Sunday, September 21, 2008
What happens when you’re a workaholic






Why am I doing this to myself? Do I get pleasure from inflicting pain to myself? These two questions are haunting me for a while and I still can’t get a reasonable answer to them. But more important that what am I asking myself, is why…why am I asking myself this…

First contract I had a good reason. I was assistant waitress for 6 months and in the last day of my contract they offered me the Yeoman position. I had to extend my contract 4 months, but it was well worth the bother. It was what I wanted from the beginning, to get an officer position, and of course I would sacrifice myself and do a 10 months contract. I would have done more than 10 if it wasn’t for me getting a replacement. The scheduler in Miami didn’t send anybody and I was onboard for over 9 months when I decided to choose somebody and train to replace me while I was in vacation. After begging all division heads to give me one of their crew, a good friend of mine, the Inventory Manager, gave me one of his storekeepers to train. I completed his training in 3 weeks and finally left home.

I got a good reason for the second contract too. I was just starting to get used to the position when, after 3 months of being a Yeoman, the Hotel Director asked me if I want to fill in for his admin for a week, until the replacement will arrive. He had problems with his visa and he was delayed for a week. So here I was, doing two jobs, working 12-14 hours a day and trying to please everybody. I guess I was doing well since the replacement never came and I did both jobs for almost 2 months. I was so burned up I finally said “That’s it!!!” I had to recruit another crewmember to be a temporary Yeoman until I finish replacing the Hotel Administrative Assistant and have my vacation. Nobody helped me; I had to beg again the division heads to give me someone to train. This time was the Dining Room Manager, and here I was again, training this assistant waitress to replace me. This time I was lucky enough to go home after almost 7 months.

This time, my third contract, I have absolutely no reason for why I’m doing it all over again except that it looks good in my CV (sort of anyways). I came back from vacation in mid May just to find out that the position has changed from Yeoman, which was something like a secretary, to Food & Beverage Administrative Assistant, which is not just a secretary, but more like and F&B Assistant. What they did was to merge the Food & Beverage Manager Junior with the Yeoman position and create the F&B Administrative Assistant which has the job description of both positions. It would have been ok if the salary and the living conditions would have been on the same level. But guess what? I have to share the cabin, even though I am a two stripes officer, and the salary is under $2000.

Anyways, like most of the managers onboard say it, this is it and this is what we have to work with. So I stopped complaining and just did my job. And then was when I start asking my self those questions: “Why am I doing this to myself? Why do I work 10-11 hours a day? Why can’t I just take the afternoon off and go out just like the others do? What makes me so obsessed with this job?”

Then, when I was on my third month onboard, I got asked if I would like to replace the Hotel Administrative Assistant while she is on vacation. My heart was telling me to say no, to relax, that it’s not worth the bother, but my mind started to calculate the pro’s and con’s and , just like in a dream, I saw myself saying yes. I got out of the office wondering what the hell is wrong with me. It wasn’t something that I wanted or planned to do… Besides, I was suppose to go in vacation in November and sped the holidays with my friends and family. I have no idea why I say yes. So here I am now, doing again a 10 months contract, just because I am a helpless workaholic.

PS: The pictures you see on this post are from when my sister was onboard with her boyfriend. As you might notice, I was wearing the uniform all the time for the simple reason that I was always working. I didn’t even go out with them once…Something has to change! And fast!

Labels: , ,

posted by Ariana @ 12:18 PM  
19 Comments:
  • At September 23, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi again,

    Ok first of all, I want to say that I'm really surprise at what you were saying in this blog. I didn't know that you have to "force" somebody to replace you. I thought the scheduler were there for that reason. And what about the people who are waiting for an opening ? Or maybe they didn't found some... or they are saving money.

    But whatever the case, it's strange that a company big at this one isn't that organize. But I don't know. I'm a person on shore and I don't know all about this structure. Well, I'm asking you how does the scheduling work ? Do you have to make a request to send a replacement from somebody a shore or it's something else ?

    Well about yourself, I do think you should listen to your heart. It's good to think about the pros and cons but when you don't have time for yourself or your own family who's went to your ship for what, one week, well I think some changes have to be make. And then again, it's all about what are your priorities. It's also good for on a CV. But is it worth it ?

    Beetho
    p.s : I really enjoy your blog.

     
  • At September 23, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Blogger Ariana said…

    Hello Beetho,

    You got it all wrong. We don't force the crewmembers to replace us. The problem is with their managers who are short of people already. Besides, internal promotion is alwasy good because those people gain the knowledge and move up. The pay changes accordingly as well for the months they do the JOB.

    Yes, we do have schedulers, but so far, for my position, they never sent somebody. I have no idea why. One thing i know, we always ask them to send a replacement and when the time is up, they never send somebody. at some point we just gave up. This is one of the reasons I am replacing the Hotel Administrative Assistant-she has nobody sent to replace her from shoreside.

    Ofcourse I am wondering if it's worth it. That was the idea of the post: I realise it's not really worth it, and I am wondering why am I doing this to myself....No answer yet! :-)

     
  • At September 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hi!
    Are you interested in getting a template/ banner/ header/ logo/ business cards/ mascot designs for your site for no money, in return we require text links from your site http://workingoncruiseship.blogspot.com. Approaching you through this form since there was no email address. Please get back to me if you are interested.

    Name: Joe Nathan
    Email: joenathanls@gmail.com

     
  • At September 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Well if you put it this way, I understand a bit more about the promotion from the inside. This way, yes it's very good for the crewmembers and they will be able to grow in the industry. That's good. Thanks for the input.

    But still, the problem remains and I it's maybe great for the two first contract since you're new and all. But after a while, maybe their a chance to lose your goals, objectifs in life with all this quest of knowlegde. I don't know maybe you should tell me what you think about this. Did your objectif has change since the first contract or is still the same. I imagine that it's really easy to lose your focus since you work everyday.

    Oh, and by the way what's happening with your love life.. well your love at sea and all the boys problems ?

    Beetho

     
  • At October 28, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Oana,

    It's been a while since you wrote a blog. I suppose that you are really working hard... Maybe replacing another crewmember again. Well I wrote to tell you that I looking forward for your next blog adventure. Have a nice day.

    Beetho

     
  • At November 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi
    Nice blog and post, you give me a lot of information and opportunity.
    Thanks

     
  • At June 16, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Anonymous Kenneth Posey said…

    you know you should not be workaholic.. try to tone down sometimes, if you don't your body might not able to take the fatigue, and you might collapse while working.

     
  • At July 9, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Anonymous cruise liner jobs said…

    working on a cruise ship is not that bad. Once a crew is set or is used to the environment and the job, whats left is to enjoy himself with the other crew and the places that the cruise will visit.

     
  • At October 1, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Blogger John Smith said…

    cruise ship jobs are really awesome as it is a great chance to earn good money and travel the world for free at the same time. What I like about it is that meals and accommodation is free. Although at some cruise lines one has to share cabin with another colleague, which is totally fun.

     
  • At January 17, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Blogger My Latina Self said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At January 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Blogger My Latina Self said…

    Hi Oana.. I am soon starting a position on Celebrity called Restaurant Hostess. And from the job description, it sounds close to a Food and Beverage Admin. I was just wondering, if the salary you make is based on tips or is it a fixed salary?? Do you have a uniform?? I'm just trying to get some insight to the position, since I know that RCCL and Celebrity are run pretty much the same.

    Thanks! And I hope that you are doing well!!!

    Cynthia

     
  • At January 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Oana


    there are lot more important things in life besides job. try to have more fun, to go out ! You should balance your life in everything.

    LIFE IS SHORT, DONT WASTE IT ALL ON SOME CRUISE COMPANY !

    Regards Macedonia

     
  • At March 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Ms Oana,
    My name is Nolan Lopez & i'm from India,I do trust these lines i mail you find you in the best of good health & happiness.I must say hat's of to you concerning your achievements.
    Mam my only question to you is that i'am short listed for a final interview for the post of a Food & Beverage Administration Assistant,could you please guide me & give me a explanation about this particular job proflie so i can be well prepared for my final intervie.Ms Oana your help will be highly appreciated.This means a lot to me.You can mail me on nolanlopez91@yahoo.com its my official e mail address,I am really looking forward to hearing from soon .Till then God Bless.Warm Regards...Nolan LOPEZ

     
  • At May 20, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Anonymous stansted said…

    Nice blog and good post. You have great maintain to your blog. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At June 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    hi Beeto,

    dear i can understand your situation and position as i m working the same profile but in Louis cruises the salary is not so good so if u want i can replace u whenever u want for vacation and also believe me i dont mind to work as Hotel admin. or F&B admin as far as i get the good income hi to be more friendly i m searching a change for myself from F&B yeomen in to new company as being 5 years with louis i have no promotion and no bonus only thing is increased is more responsibilitys for purchased dept. so please email me if u have some thing for me to job your company at anuparyal_16@hotmail.com, or at aryalanup@yahoo.com, or aryal.16@gmail.com u can added me also to gtalk to speak direct no problems as i need some help to change my company for sure now the rest i can send u when u email me back :)

     
  • At December 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Anonymous Cal said…

    The thing I don't understand about workaholism, on jobs on cruises or any other job. I've always worked to live - worked in order to earn money to enable me to have an enjoyable life. Fair enough I like my job, and occasionally I'll work overtime if I have to, but my life comes 1st. There is no point working all the hours God sends if you get no time to enjoy the benefits of this.
    Plus, there's a chance that you'll become exhausted, and the chances are your not getting a proper balanced diet. It's unhealthy as well as anti social.
    By all means try hard at your job and go the extra mile to achieve your potential, but working up to 14 hours a day, every day is definitely not the right way to go about things.

     
  • At May 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    check out careeroncruise.com to find your dream job on a cruise ship...

     
  • At May 31, 2011 at 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi oana, i was interested on working in the Hair salon part of the ship, and cant really find much info on it.. kinda wanted personal experience reviews on how it works, hours, etc. just general info, and came across your blog, and i must say you work like i do. i go to school 4 days a week, and the other 3 days, i work 2 jobs. so i feel your long days.
    but do you know where i can get some more info on the salon side of a cruise ship?

     
  • At May 31, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Anonymous Oana said…

    The only company I know that employs spa personnel is Steiner. Hope this helps :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Subscribe to this blog



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

About Me
Name: Ariana
Home:
About Me: Born in a small town, ended up working around the world. I love to socialize, see places, make new friends. Always there to help, even when nobody is asking for it :-)And now I am learning graphic design as well, check out my other blogs.
More Information



Previous Post
Archives
Want more traffic?
Book Marks

Top Blogs Travel

BlogRovR: read my blog anywhere!
My Networks